Cotswolds Bed and Breakfast (B & B)
The Bear Inn at Perrotts Brook is in the heart of the Cotswolds near Cirencester in Gloucestershire.
THE BED AND BREAKFAST IS CLOSED
The Bear has been providing lodgings for weary travelers since 1825 - read more about The Bear's history. Now officially called The Old Bear Inn, the present owners are proud to be able to continue this tradition with two exclusive rooms available for Bed and Breakfast by prior appointment.
The Old Bear Inn, now a private residence, is situated on the old main road between Cirencester and Cheltenham which follows the course of the river Churn from which Cirencester takes its name. The property is spacious and light, with period features that include fireplaces in the dining and drawing room and antique furniture in every room. And as there are only two bed and breakfast rooms you might even have the whole place to yourself.
There are many places to relax in the spacious garden in the summer or indoors in the show rooms. The B and B rooms have comfortable chairs, television and wireless internet and are newly refurbished throughout. The owners will be on hand throughout your stay to make sure you have everything you need.
Please contact us on the numbers above or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and for information about our reasonable rates and room availability.
The Green Room
The green room is a perfect bed and breakfast room. It is large, yet is also cosy and snug, with low ceilings and oak beams it is in a quiet corner of the house where you can relax and unwind in peace and quiet. This room has a new television, new sheets and towels, en suite bathroom, walk though wardrobe and wireless internet.
The Great Room
The great room is large and bright, with huge window that looks down the churn valley. This B and B room has a high ceiling and is wonderfully spacious, the perfect place to hang out whatever the weather. This room has been totally refurbished throughout, with brand new television, bed linen and towels. The en suite bathroom has a lovely view of the horse field opposite and this room has walk through wardrobe as well as wireless internet and antique furniture.
- The Old Bear is a period property with original oak beams and stone fireplaces
- With warm character, the Old Bear is elegant yet has the charm of a family owned country house
- The owner has 35 years experience dealing in antiques and fine art which can be seen in the show rooms at the Old Bear
- In the garden guests will find outdoor seating, streams and a pond, as well as views and walks along the Churn valley
- The large rooms are more elegant and less expensive than an equivalent hotel
Luxury Cotswolds B&B
Originally a farmhouse standing on the ancient Welsh Way, the property reputedly dates back as far as the 16th century. Having posed as a coaching inn for over 300 years, it then became a public house that closed its doors in 2002. In the hands of its new owners it has been completely refurbished over the last five years, and has now re-opened to offer period charm combined with modern amenities.
Enjoy a comfortable blend of old and new in the heart of the Cotswolds - from its location in the Churn Valley, the property offers easy access to the countryside and the historic market town of Cirencester. With its history, style and modern amenities, The Old Bear offers a warm welcome to all guests.
- Style: History and antiques combine with modern amenities
- Bedrooms and Bathrooms: Two spacious suites - one super-king double and a queen-size double - both decked out with antique seating and an en suite bathroom housing a bath and shower.
- For relaxation: Luxuriate and relax in the privacy of your own suite - with your own seating area there is no need for an extra lounge area.
- For recreation: There is a beautiful garden with outside seating and nearby you will find spas, golf courses and a range of activities (see below).
- Practicalities: There are TVs, bathrobes, hair dryers, wireless internet and magazines in the bedrooms.
Food and Wine
- In-house cuisine: Tuck into a wide choice of breakfast ingredients - from a full English platter to seasonal fruit, home made cereal and freshly baked bread. Dinner is not normally offered.
- Eating out: Your hosts will recommend a number of fine restaurants in the area, including Barnsley House and The Village Pub (both ten minutes' away in Barnsley), The Bathurst Arms (just over a mile or half an hour walk away) and many other great places to eat in Cirencester, look at Made By Bob's, Jesse Smith's to Sushi, Chinese, French and Indian options. In the other direction and not much further away, Cheltenham has too many restaurants to mention.
Nearly an acre of open gardens are scattered with colourful beds, a water feature and fruit trees. A large patio decking with garden furniture overlooks the pond, while the canopy of a large yew tree dominates the heart of the garden.
As you would expect from a Cotswolds bed and breakfast, the Old Bear Inn has a small but pretty garden with secluded seating for private relaxation. Almost all the buildings in Perrotts Brook are made of Cotswold stone and many of the walls are made using the Cotswold dry stone walling technique.
- On the map: The property is located on the junction of the A435 and the Welsh Way
- By car: Approx. 90 miles from London - via M4 exit 15, A417/419 and the first exit after Cirencester sign-posted Perrotts Brook (this road is Welshway and leads directly to the property). Coming from the west, the M5 junction 11A connects to A417/419 - leave at the junction before Cirencester, sign-posted Perrotts Brook.
- By train: The nearest station is Kemble (about 6 miles away). Trains from London Paddington connect at Swindon for Kemble. Buses and taxis are available from Kemble station to the property.
- By air: London Heathrow is about an hour away from the property, whilst Bristol is a shorter distance but often involves a slightly longer road trip. Birmingham airport also offers good road links to the property.
About Your Hosts
Your hosts are passionate travellers with a keen, long-standing interest in antiques. Allan has been an international antiques dealer for 35 years, specialising in Georgian period furniture. His Danish wife, Anne-Marie, previously worked as an accountant. A sociable and welcoming couple, Allan and Anne-Marie are happy to advise on local places of interest and antique matters, whilst always making sure there is a warm ambience in the B&B.
Out and About
- Explore historic Cirencester, the second largest town in Roman Britain, just 3 miles away
- Enjoy shopping and pavement dining in Regency Cheltenham Spa
- Nature and wildlife lovers can visit Burford Wildlife Park (15 miles), Westonbirt Arboretum (17 miles) and the Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust (20 miles)
- Don your walking boots and explore The Cotswolds - the nearby Coln Valley is a popular destination for hikers
- Visit Bath (35 miles), Bibury (8 miles) and Berkley Castle (25 miles)
- Enjoy cycling and horse-riding in the countryside
- Attend various local events including the Cheltenham races, Badminton and Gatcombe Horse Trials, Fairford Air Tattoo and the Cheltenham Literary Festival
- £ Closed
- Xmas: Not Available
- New Year: Not Available
Rental inclusive of
- Cooked breakfast
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Hair dryers
- Sleeps: 4
- Double: 1 super-king double and 1 queen-size double
- Highchairs: One Highchair available
- Children: Yes Welcome
- Pets: Yes Welcome (up to 2 dogs welcome)
- Disabled Access: Limited
- Mod Cons: Flat-screen TVs with Freeview channels in the bedrooms
- Internet & Communications: Wireless Internet Available
Anne Marie Hare
The Old Bear
Tel: 01285 831311/831131